"Adventure: the pursuit of life." - Daniel Roy Wiarda

"Adventure: the pursuit of life."

-Daniel Roy Wiarda

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Morning in Eastern Market


As the unofficial centre of D.C.’s Capitol Hill neighbourhood, Eastern Market is a hugely popular destination amongst locals and tourists alike. At 137 years old, it lays claim to the title of D.C.’s oldest continually running market, and is it ever running. From the vendors selling meat and produce in the South Hall Market to the artists hawking their wares in the Weekend Outdoor Market, visitors can spend hours wandering amongst the stalls, eating their way through a delightful morning or afternoon at Eastern Market, which is precisely what I did last weekend.

I met a friend, who knows the city much better than I do, for what I was promised would be the best crepes I’ve ever tasted. Who am I to forgo mouth-watering crepes on a Sunday morning? I tried not to lose her in the crowds as we wove through fruit stands, past colourful swatches of fabric, following our noses to the food carts set up as their own little satellite market. D.C.-dwellers love, love, love food trucks and food carts of all kinds. I myself have pledged my undying loyalty to the Cupcake Truck in New Haven, Connecticut as my first food truck of choice, but I was more than willing to give these a try.

Our final destination was Eastern MarketCrepes, and it did not disappoint. The Crepe Man, Mitchell, puts together some unusual and exceptionally tasty combinations, all nestled in the perfectly poured batter that was inspired by his world travels. My crepe was stuffed with ham, apple, Muenster cheese, and maple syrup, and oh my was it good. I wanted another one as soon as I’d finished! Although he was tucked out of the way, it was clear that the Crepe Man has many loyal followers who come back weekend after weekend. His stall was buzzing the entire time we were there. Now I have to go back to try the donuts and the Indian food that some of his neighbours were selling, although maybe not on the same trip!

Mitchell works his Sunday-morning crepe magic.

After eating our fill of crepe-y goodness, we strolled through the stalls, browsing the painted scenes of the city and the jewellery that taunted our slender wallets. As we wound our way towards South Hall Market, we stopped to enjoy the slices of fresh peaches offered at the fruit stalls.

Exploring Eastern Market was a wonderful way to pass the morning, probably my favourite that I’ve spent in the city so far. The wonderful food certainly helped my experience (I caved and had a post-crepe apple strudel, as well, even though it was the middle of July. No regrets about that life decision), but the atmosphere alone was enjoyable. It really is a hub of the community – there were tourists there, but there were also people doing their weekly produce shopping. It serves as both an international attraction and a small-town farmers market, and it was so interesting to see both of those dynamics at play simultaneously.

One of the things that I really love about D.C. is that market spaces like this were actually a part of Pierre L’Enfant’s design for the city – little green places and squares where the community can gather and come together as a neighbourhood. His forethought gives the city a rather European flair, and has no doubt gone quite a ways in allowing D.C.’s different neighbourhoods to distinguish themselves from one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment